Last Updated: Mar 28th, 2013 - 15:23:24


Fire destroys home; space heater blamed
By Jody O’Hara
Mar 28, 2013, 15:21

Email this article
 Printer friendly page
A home at 1197 Eddy Ave. was destroyed by fire Thursday.
Wiggins Fire Department Chief Jody Hatten said the fire was caused by a space heater and the home was a total loss.
Wiggins Police Department patrolman Dustin Parker was first on the scene and said he found George Anthony Ferrell and Tiffany Nicole Mills outside with their infant child.
"She heard a popping in the bedroom and ran out and called him but by the time he got in there the bedroom was fully engulfed," Parker said.
Firefighters, who arrived to fire pouring from the eaves of the house, quickly extinguished the flames before going through the house checking for hotspots.

With cold snaps hitting the area, Hatten said it was important to take safety measures with space heaters.
"People need to make sure they keep all blankets and loose articles of clothing away from space heaters," he said. "Never use a space heater with an extension cord, it should be plugged directly into the wall and the cord should be checked for fraying and exposed wires."


Wiggins Area Weather


Dot Photo