Home built in 1887 destroyed by fire
By Jody O'Hara
Sep 20, 2012, 10:58
SILVER RUN - An historical home in Silver Run was destroyed by fire last Thursday.
The home, on Hester Loop, was originally built in 1887 and had been added to extensively since.
The original log cabin, around which the additions were made, contributed to the fire because of the fuel it provided.
"They were really lucky," said McHenry Volunteer Fire Department CHief Tommy Muffler. "The grandmother was woke up by the dog barking and managed to wake everybody else and they all got out safely."
The home was a total loss.
Silver Run VFD CHief Ian Schairer said the fire was fully involved by the time firefighters arrived.
"I was one of the first on the scene and the fire had already breached the roof and three walls when I got there," he said.
Muffler said the fire was most likely caused by a problem in the electrical wiring of the house.
In addition to the logs, medical oxygen tanks were in the house and likely contributed to the intensity of the blaze, Schairer said.
Firefighters from Silver Run, Magnolia, McHenry, Perkinston and Wiggins responded to the alarm.
© Copyright 2005